Inventory Unit Detail
2014 Kawasaki KLX® 140L
With its 17" front and 14" rear wheels, the Kawasaki KLX®140 holds plenty of appeal for both young and old, but it also incorporates all of the standard 140’s many off-road-worthy features, yet wraps them in an even beefier package that will stand up to the demands of taller and more aggressive off-road riders. The 140L not only features larger 19” front and 16” rear wheels and a taller 31.5 in. seat height, its suspension is also more performance-oriented, featuring an honest-to-goodness reservoir-type shock that larger and more experienced riders will quickly appreciate.
At A Glance…
• 144cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine is simple to operate and to maintain
• Close-ratio 5-speed transmission makes optimum use of the engine’s power
• Progressive manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• Rear shock with piggyback reservoir has fully adjustable preload, four-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
• Keyless electric starting via a starter button on the handlebar; an LED indicates when the power button is on to help prevent accidental battery drain
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX™450F/250F) for strong and easy-to-control braking
• Quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS-approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX®140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
144 cc air-cooled, single-cylinder engine
• Reliable and easy to use lightweight engine is both simple to operate and to maintain
• Engine revs easily and allows riders to use the full rpm range up to the 10,500 rpm rev limiter
• Exhaust pipe is curved to achieve optimum length for good power character
• The quiet muffler is equipped with a USFS approved spark arrester, meaning the KLX140L can access designated public off-road riding areas
• Air-filter is washable, reusable, easily accessed and highly effective in dusty situations
• 31.5-inch seat height accommodates taller riders
• Starting is via a (keyless) electric starter button on the handlebar
• Orange LED light activates when the power button is depressed, indicating that power is “ON”
• Digital CDI ignition helps ensure quick, reliable starts
• Oval piston-valve Keihin PB20 carburetor features several Kawasaki-original modifications to provide stable fuel delivery under rough off-road conditions
• Partitions in the float chamber keep the fuel from sloshing excessively and an umbrella around the main jet traps fuel when jumping
• Dual air vents help provide a stable fuel supply even when the bike is at extreme lean angles
• Needle valve is suspended on a spring that acts like a shock absorber
• Float material is rubber instead of plastic
Close-ratio 5-speed transmission
• Close gear ratios help the KLX140L’s acceleration performance
• Like the KX models, the shift lever features a ball bearing to ease shifting and has a folding tip to help reduce the chance of bending the lever in a crash
Progressive manual clutch
• Manual clutch offers young riders the chance to master clutch engagement and gear shifting
• A spring damper in the clutch gives it a 2-stage engagement that permits half-clutch use when riding at extremely low rpm or idling speeds, and helps provide direct clutch feel and better durability
Box-section perimeter frame
• Ready for off-road abuse, the highly rigid, KX™-inspired high-tensile steel perimeter frame uses the same upper tubes as the KLX250S
• Aluminum swingarm offers light weight, strength and a brushed finish like on the KX machines
• KX-style chain adjusters allow precise chain adjustments
• 33mm telescopic fork assembly has spring rates and damping settings specific to the 140L
• Intended for use at a quicker pace, the KLX140L features a Uni-Trak® linkage and a rear shock with a piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable spring preload, 4-way compression damping and 22-way rebound damping
• Strong, high-grade die-cast hubs offer the same durability as those found on the KX
• Durable, lightweight RK EXCEL aluminum rims on the 19/16-inch front/rear wheels
Petal disc brakes front & rear
• Front 220mm petal disc and large-bore 27mm twin-piston caliper (same size as those on the KX450F/250F) offer strong and easy-to-control braking
• Rear brake uses a 186mm petal disc gripped by a 27mm single-piston caliper
• Rear brake master cylinder features a large-volume, unitized reservoir that contributes to stable braking and helps ensure sufficient fluid pressure even when the brake pad wears down
• In addition to helping reduce unsprung weight, the wave shapes of the petal discs help clean the brake pads for more efficient braking performance
• Combination of the flat surface of the frame’s box-section, long footpegs mounted close to the bikes’ centerline and no kick-start lever add up to good grip and a high level of machine control
• Footpeg/frame relationship is modeled after the KX line for maximum leg grip
• Handlebar is rubber-mounted for reduced vibration felt by the rider’s hands
• Two-piece upper triple clamp and handlebar mounts foster easy aftermarket handlebar installation
• Raised pattern on half of the grip surface offers more control and comfort
• Two-tone seat cover has a slip-resistant top surface for good grip when seated and smooth sides for excellent rider mobility when standing
Sharp, aggressive bodywork styling
• Box-section perimeter frame features advanced styling similar to that found on the KX racers
• Two-piece shrouds with ventilation holes inspired by the top-of-the-line KX race machines
• Fuel tank cover provides a flush transition from tank to shroud, and contributes to the bike’s high level of fit and finish
• Eye-catching box muffler design protrudes as little as possible from behind the side cover, and features a plastic muffler end-cap that offers a surface cooler to the touch than steel
- Engine: Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
- Displacement: 144cc
- Bore x Stroke: 58.0 x 54.4mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Cooling System: Air
- Carburetion: Keihin PB20
- Ignition: CDI
- Transmission: Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame Type: High-Tensile steel, box-section perimeter
- Rake/Trail: 27 deg. / 3.8 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 33mm telescopic fork / 7.1 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Uni-Trak® linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping / 7.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 70/100-19
- Rear Tire Size: 90/100-16
- Front brakes / rear brakes: Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper / Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
- Overall length: 74.6 in.
- Overall width: 31.1 in.
- Overall height: 42.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 10.0 in.
- Seat height: 31.5 in.
- Curb weight: 209.4 lb.
- Wheelbase: 50.6 in.
- Fuel capacity: 1.5 gal.
- Color Choices: Lime Green
- Warranty: 6 months base warranty
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, or 36 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, SOHC, two-valve single
- Bore and Stroke
- 58.0 x 54.4mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Keihin PB20
- Front Suspension
- 33mm telescopic fork. 7.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Single 220mm petal disc with a dual-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Suspension
- Uni-Trak® linkage system and single shock with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload and 22-way rebound damping. 7.1 in. travel
- Rear Brakes
- Single 186mm petal disc with single-piston caliper
- Rear Tire
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 209.4 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.5 gal.
- 50.6 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 10.0 in.
- Seat Height
- 31.5 in.
- 3.8 in.
- 27 deg.
- Five-speed with wet multi-disc manual clutch
- Final Drive
- Lime Green
- 6 months base warranty